Last Friday, an awesome article came out in the Israeli newspaper - Ha'Aretz - about me and my struggle to be recognized as a Jew in Israel in order to get married here. The response was overwhelming but I felt the need to make a few things clear:
- My Judaism wasn't the only one in question. So for all the idiots that wrote that I am ruining Craig's Jewish identity - HE WAS TOLD THE SAME AS ME ("you're Judaism needs to be validated.") - so suck it.
- My MATERNAL Grandmother is a survivor of the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp ... so don't ever tell me that my mother is not a Jew. I respect her relationship with g-d and she grew up in a time when you had the shit kicked out of you for being a Jew.
- I am not by any means of Saxon origin. I'm Polish and Hungarian. That's it. I look like a Polish Jew. I cook like a Hungarian Jew. I don't look ANYTHING like a Saxon.
- I am not riding the coat-tails of my father's family. Most people never knew that I am a decedent of Nachum Sokolow. I don't get ahead in Israeli society because of it and most Americans have no idea who he was. Regardless, I make my own story and follow my own path - not that of someone else.
- I will not convert for any reason. Why should I have to?
- I AM A JEW. If I'm Jewish enough to be hated by the world, I am Jewish enough to get married in the Jewish State. No one should EVER tell me otherwise.
Idiots will always be idiots. Haters will always hate. At the end of the day, I will still marry Craig and the Rabbanut cannot stop that.